UK strongly condemns rocket attack on PMOI in Camp Liberty
NCRI - The United Kingdom has strongly condemned the terrorist rocket attack last week on Camp Liberty, Iraq, home to members of the main Iranian opposition group People's Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI or MEK).
Tobias Ellwood MP, the Minister for the Middle East and North Africa in the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, on Monday, July 11, said: "We strongly condemn the attack against the civilian residents of Camp Liberty in Iraq on 4 July. We have publically called on the Government of Iraq to investigate the attack and bring the attackers to justice. In the coming days officials from our Embassy will raise the attack with the Iraqi Prime Minister’s Office and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and make clear the importance of an urgent and comprehensive investigation into the incident."
"In all of our engagement with the Government of Iraq on this issue, including at Ministerial level and in our statements, we have emphasised the importance of the Iraqi Government doing everything possible to ensure the safety of the residents of Camp Liberty," Mr. Ellwood added.
More than 50 people were injured after Camp Liberty in Iraq was bombarded with rockets on July 4 by militias affiliated with the Iranian regime's Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) Quds Force, following an eight-day blockade that prevented food and medicine from reaching the camp.
Maryam Rajavi, the President-elect of the National Council of Resistance of Iran NCRI, hailed the heroic perseverance of the residents of Camp Liberty and wished a quick recovery for those wounded in the criminal attack.
Amnesty International on July 6 called for a "prompt, independent and effective investigation into this attack, for those responsible to be brought to justice and for measures to be put in place to prevent future attacks."
The organization in a statement said it "regrets the failure to adequately investigate previous deadly attacks against the camp, which sent the message that camp residents can be attacked with impunity."
United States Senator John McCain strongly condemned on July 7 the terrorist rocket attack on the PMOI in Camp Liberty.
Senator McCain also called on the U.S. State Department to ensure that the Camp Liberty residents have “continued and reliable access to food, clean water, medical assistance, electricity, and other supplies necessary to sustain” them.