Ahmad Montazeri urges Iran regime to apologize to the families of the 1988 massacre victims
NCRI - The son of the former heir to Khomeini has demanded that leaders of the Iranian regime, and especially the mullahs’ Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, apologize to the victims of the 1988 massacre of political prisoner in Iran.
Some 30,000 political prisoners, mainly affiliated to the main Iranian opposition group, the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI or MEK), were summarily executed in the summer of 1988 based on a fatwa by Khomeini. Members of Khomeini’s Death Committee who approved the sentences hold top positions within the regime today.
Ahmad Montazeri, the son of Hossein-Ali Montazeri, said: “The top officials including the heads of the three branches of government and military leaders should apologize to the families of the victims. In order to implement the basic justice, the families of the victims should be allowed to visit the graves of their loved ones."
Earlier this month an audio tape was release for the first time of Hossein-Ali Montazeri’s 1988 meeting with members of the Death Committee. Montazeri revealed the involvement of leading members of the Iranian regime in the 1988 massacre of political prisoners. He addresed the ‘Death Committee’ over their responsibility for the massacre.
Ahmad Montazeri was summoned to a special clerical court and questioned for three hours on August 13. He dismissed any notion that the tapes are false or distorted and he challenged the regime to release their contrary evidence.
He said: "Today is the anniversary of these executions. Normally, the confidential documents will be publicly released after thirty years and it has been now 28 years since the massacre occurred."