Former French FM calls for international court to prosecute Iran regime for 1988 massacre in Iran
NCRI - Former French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner has called for the formation of an international tribunal to prosecute officials of the mullahs’ regime for carrying out the massacre of over 30,000 political prisoners in Iran in the summer of 1988.
The overwhelming majority of the victims of the 1988 massacre were affiliated to the main Iranian opposition group People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI or MEK).
Dr. Kouchner on Saturday, September 3, addressed a seminar on the 1988 massacre held at the Iranian Resistance’s headquarters north of Paris.
“We now realize the result of the 1988 massacre. Some 33,000 people were killed,” Dr. Kouchner said.
“We absolutely need the creation of a specific court, to avoid being told that the massacres happened too long ago and that it's too late. … We need a specific court to judge the mullahs' crimes.”
Dr. Kouchner pointed out the mullahs’ regime continues to carry out mass executions in Iran.
“Nothing has changed since the [nuclear] agreement. … Everybody rushed to sign contracts in Tehran. And then we realized that we had signed the contracts with the Revolutionary Guards. We now realize that [Iran’s] economy is in the hands of the Revolutionary Guards,” he added.
In the summer of 1988, the Iranian regime summarily and extra-judicially executed tens of thousands of political prisoners held in jails across Iran. The massacre was carried out on the basis of a fatwa by the regime’s then-Supreme Leader Ruhollah Khomeini.
• More than 30,000 political prisoners were massacred in Iran in the summer of 1988.
• The massacre was carried out on the basis of a fatwa by Khomeini.
• The vast majority of the victims were activists of the opposition PMOI (MEK).
• A Death Committee approved all the death sentences.
• Mostafa Pour-Mohammadi, a member of the Death Committee, is today Hassan Rouhani’s Justice Minister.
• The perpetrators of the 1988 massacre have never been brought to justice.
• On August 9, 2016, an audio tape was published for the first time of Khomeini’s former heir acknowledging that that massacre took place and had been ordered at the highest levels.