Iranian regime’s nuclear ‘compromises’ is nothing new: Western officials
The Iranian regime is pushing what it portrays as a new compromise proposal in nuclear talks, but Western officials say it offers no viable concessions.
The dismissal of the proposal underscores how far apart the two sides are in nuclear talks as the Nov. 24 deadline approaches.
Western officials have said the proposal by the Iranian regime in nuclear talks as not being new, Reuters reported.
The officials say that in talks in Vienna they too have offered compromises over demands that the clerical regime limit its nuclear program, but they have been rejected by Tehran.
"The bottom line is that they do not appear willing to limit their enrichment program to a level we would find acceptable," a European diplomat said.
"We may have no choice but to extend the talks past November ... It's either that or let the talks collapse."
The Iranian regime says it is no longer demanding a total end to economic sanctions in return for curbing their nuclear program and would accept initially lifting just the latest, most damaging, sanctions.
Western officials said the proposal as nothing new and say the Iranians have always known that the sanctions could only end gradually - with each measure being suspended and later terminated only after Iranian compliance had been proven.
Under their most recent offer, Iranian officials have told Reuters that leadership of the regime would be satisfied with removing crippling U.S. and European Union energy and banking sanctions imposed in 2012.
They described this as a major stepdown from regime’s consistent calls for the removal of all sanctions imposed on it because of its refusal to heed U.N. Security Council demands that it halt uranium enrichment work.