News: Nuclear Program

France Sends Senior Diplomat to Iran as Regime Breaches Uranium Enrichment Cap

France Sends Senior Diplomat to Iran as Regime Breaches Uranium Enrichment Cap

Written by Mohammad Sadat Khansari on .

France dispatched a top diplomat to Iran Tuesday while joining Germany and Britain in calling on the mullahs' regime to scale back its recent uranium enrichment activities "without delay."

Emmanuel Bonne, a diplomatic adviser to French President Emmanuel Macron, was expected to meet Wednesday with the Iranian regime's senior security official, Ali Shamkhani, according to the Tasnim news agency, affiliated to the regime's Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) Quds Force. Bonne hopes to try to "obtain gestures" from the Iranian regime to show they're serious about staying in the 2015 nuclear deal, a French official told The Associated Press.

The European nations, who remain part of the accord along with Russia and China, said they planned to organize a meeting among the signatories over “deep concern that Iran is not meeting several of its commitments.” They added that the meeting needed to be “convened urgently,” but did not say when it would take place, Fox News reported.

This is the second trip to Tehran by Bonne in as many months. He was in the Iranian capital in mid-June for one day.

"The idea [of Bonne's visit] is to privilege dialogue [over] escalation that can become explosive," and "not reach a situation of war," the French official told the AP.

The Iranian regime on Monday began enriching uranium beyond the 3.67% purity limit set by its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, according to the United Nations nuclear watchdog.

The Iranian regime said on Sunday it is fully prepared to enrich uranium at any level and with any amount, in violation of the nuclear deal.

In a news conference broadcast live, senior regime officials said Tehran would keep reducing its commitments every 60 days unless signatories of the pact moved to protect it from U.S. sanctions.

The Iranian regime's President Hassan Rouhani declared last week that as of July 7 the regime will increase its enrichment of uranium to any amount it wants and will recommence activities at its heavy water reactor in Arak.

Commenting on Rouhani’s announcement, the Chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) Mohammad Mohaddessin said: “The events of recent days and Rouhani’s announcement today show clearly that the mullahs’ regime never abandoned its nuclear weapons projects and it is trying to find an opportunity to pursue it once again. As the Iranian Resistance has repeatedly stated, the regime must not be allowed to carry out any uranium enrichment and its nuclear projects must be entirely dismantled.”

Print