Khamenei Approved Saudi Oil Attack, U.S. Official Tells CBS News
AFP, Riyadh, September 18, 2019 - Saudi Colonel Turki bin Saleh al-Malki displays pieces of Iranian cruise missiles and drones recovered from the attack site that targeted Saudi Aramco's facilities.
Last weekend's major attack on Saudi oil facilities was approved by the Iranian regime's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, but only on the condition that it be carried out in a way that made it possible to deny Iranian involvement, a U.S. official told CBS News.
Saudi Arabia on Wednesday displayed wreckage of the Iranian regime's cruise missiles and drones. The circuit boards can be reverse engineered to determine the exact route the weapons flew. But U.S. officials said the most damning evidence is still unreleased satellite photos showing the Iranian regime's Revolutionary Guards making preparations for the attack at Ahvaz Air Base in southwestern Iran.
From there, the weapons flew through Kuwaiti airspace some 400 miles to their targets in Saudi Arabia. The satellite photos were of no use in stopping the attack since their significance was not realized until after the fact. "We were caught completely off guard," one U.S. official said.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who met with Saudi Arabia's crown prince, called it an "act of war."
The Saudis showed grainy surveillance video of the incoming Iranian drones.
A total of 25 drones and missiles were launched at two oil plants in last weekend’s strikes, including Iranian Delta Wing unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and “Ya Ali” cruise missiles, Saudi Defense Ministry spokesman Colonel Turki al-Malki said.
“The attack was launched from the north and unquestionably sponsored by Iran,” he told a news conference. “The evidence ... that you have seen in front of you, makes this undeniable.”
Mrs. Maryam Rajavi, the President-elect of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), described the attack on a neighboring country’s oil installations a major step and a new phase in the warmongering aggressions of the religious dictatorship ruling Iran, adding that exerting power and decisiveness is the only language the mullahs understand.
The decisive solution to rid the Middle East of all its crises caused by the religious fascism in #Iran is the change of the illegitimate regime by the Iranian people and their organized Resistance. #IranRegimeChange #FreeIran https://t.co/aBFN3HndB6— Maryam Rajavi (@Maryam_Rajavi) September 18, 2019
As such, Mrs. Rajavi pointed out:
- Previous United Nations Security Council resolutions on the mullahs’ nuclear weapons project and the ban on enrichment must be reinstated.
- Eviction of the regime, it's Revolutionary Guards and mercenary militias from Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Lebanon, and Afghanistan is an urgent imperative.
- The European Union must place Khamenei, his offices, the IRGC and the Ministry of Intelligence on the terrorist watch list.
- The UN Security Council must refer to the clerical regime’s dossier on human rights abuses and atrocities, especially the 1988 massacre of 30,000 political prisoners to an international court.
- The world community must recognize the right of the Iranian people’s Resistance to overthrow the ruling theocracy and attain freedom.