Argentina’s new government will not try to revive a voided pact with the Iranian regime to jointly investigate the 1994 bombing of a Jewish center in Buenos Aires, Justice Minister Germán Garavano said Friday.
A federal court in Argentina on last year declared unconstitutional a memorandum of understanding between Argentina government and the Iranian regime in order to probe the bombing in which the Iranian regime has been is blamed for by that country’s prosecutors.
The government of President Mauricio Macri’s decision to not to try revive the pact is a signal that it wants to put an end to the matter, the New York Times reported.
“We are instructing our lawyers today to cease the appeal on Monday,” Mr. Garavano, who was sworn in on Thursday, said Friday in a telephone interview, according to the times.
Alberto Nisman, the Argentine prosecutor who led the investigation, died this year of a gunshot wound to the head in mysterious circumstances.
Mr. Nisman had said that the pact was part of an effort to disguise a secret deal arranged by former Argentina president in which Argentina would receive trade rewards from Iran in exchange for shielding officials of the Iranian regime from charges that they had orchestrated the bombing in 1994.
According to the investigations by Prosecutor Nisman, the plan to blow up the Jewish center in Buenos Aires was discussed in a meeting of Iranian regime’s Supreme National Security Council on 14 August 1993 by Khamenei (the current supreme leader), Hashemi Rafsanjani (then President), Ali Akbar Velayati (then Foreign Minister), and Ali Fallahian (Minister of Intelligence). Once the decision for the bombing was finalized, Khamenei tasked the intelligence ministry and the revolutionary guards’ Qods Force (IRGC-QF) to carry out the bombing.
The current Iranian regime’s president, Hassan Rouhani, was also on the special government committee that plotted the bombing in Buenos Aires, according to an indictment by the Argentine government prosecutor investigating the case.
In the supplemented indictment, as well as the original one that was presented to court in 2006, special prosecutor referred to press conferences, interviews and press statements by the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) and the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) that disclosed exact details of the Iranian regime’s role in this crime.
Three weeks after the AMIA bombing, in a press conference in Washington on August 10, 1994 at the presence of dozens of reporters, the Iranian Resistance underscored that the AMIA bombing has been planned and organized by regime’s Supreme National Security Council.