Bahrain said Sunday it has adopted measures to counter the Iranian regime’s “interference” in the kingdom.
“We have taken a series of measures to confront the dangers of terrorism,” Bahrain’s Interior Minister Sheikh Rashid al-Khalifa said during a meeting with clerics, MPs and newspaper chiefs in Manama.
These measures will include monitoring money transfers and donations to combat the “financing of terrorism” and imposing travel restrictions on citizens.
Sheikh Rashid also said authorities will also take measures to “protect religious discourse against religious and political extremism as well as incitement.”
Bahrain has repeatedly accused the Iranian regime of meddling in its internal affairs.
Bahrain has previously announced the dismantling of “terror” cells whose members it said were trained by Iranian regime’s Revolutionary Guards Corp (IRGC) and its Lebanese proxy group, Hezbollah.
Earlier this month, Bahrain’s prosecution service said it has charged 11 suspects with forming a ‘terrorist’ group that included members trained by the Iranian regime’s Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) and Hezbollah.
The group has been charged with ‘establishing and joining a terrorist group; possessing explosives, weapons and firearms; and receiving training for terrorist purposes’.
According to Bahrain’s prosecution service, four of the suspects ‘attended military training camps operated by Iran’s Revolutionary Guards and the Iraqi branch of Hezbollah’.
The charges were filed after a probe into a weapons cache found in a warehouse in a village in Bahrain.