Appointing an ambassador from Iran’s religious fascist regime as the chair of the UN Human Rights Council Forum is a mockery of the Universal Declaration of human rights and international conventions, given that Iran is the first violator of these principles
Iranian Resistance strongly condemns the appointment of the religious fascism ruling Iran’s ambassador as the chair of the “Social Forum” of the UN Human Rights Council, which is scheduled to take place on November 2 and 3, 2023. This forum is supposed to “focus on the contribution of science, technology, and innovation to the promotion of human rights, including in the context of post-pandemic recovery”.
The Human Rights Council claimed that this appointment was based on “candidates nominated by regional groups,” which is a clear reference to the opinion of other human rights violators and accomplices of the Iranian regime among Asian countries.
This shameful appointment is taking place at a time when the Iranian regime has left behind the worst human rights record according to international authorities. For instance:
- the Iranian regime executed at least 67 prisoners in 12 days (April 29 to May 10);
- killed 750 people during the nationwide uprising in the period of September 2022 to January 2023, and arrested more than 30,000 people, most of whom are still in prison and subjected to all kinds of pressure and torture.
- Moreover, on November 24, 2022, the Human Rights Council formed an international fact-finding commission to investigate the crimes of this regime during the uprising.
- On December 15, 2022, the United Nations General Assembly condemned the brutal and systematic violation of human rights in Iran.
- On April 4, 2023, while condemning the violation of human rights in Iran, the Human Rights Council extended the mandate of the Special Rapporteur on the human rights situation in Iran;
- On April 27, 2023, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe elected a special rapporteur to investigate human rights violations in Iran.
Appointing a representative of such a regime as the chair of the Human Rights Council Social Forum is interpreted by the regime as a green light for more torture and killing. By citing such appeasement measures, the regime reassures its IRGC guards and executioners to continue their crimes.
The appointment of such individuals is a reward for those who commit crimes against humanity and violate human values that the modern world has made many sacrifices to achieve. The Iranian Resistance calls for the immediate cancellation of this unacceptable appointment.
Secretariat of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI)
May 11, 2023