URGENT: Protests Erupt in Scores of Iran Cities and Towns Today
Reports by the network of the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) inside Iran
February 1- 2018
• Isfahan: The youth chanted “death to the dictator” and “death to Khamenei.”
• Sanandaj (west): people gathered in Enghelab (revolution) Square, and Azadi (freedom) square and chanted “death to dictator.” They clashed with State Security Force (SSF) and set an SSF kiosk on fire. Authorities tried to disrupt the Internet connection in city. Clashes have continued, and the regime has brought in water cannons to disperse the crowd.
• Kermanshah (west): Protest erupted at Freedom square, with chants of “death to Khamenei”, “death to dictator.” A woman started the protest. “Death to Khamenei” was chanted non-stop. Plain clothed security forces have begun arresting protesters. Anti-riot forces arrested 7 protesters, but people charged at them, and the anti-riot forces retreated and released the protesters. Several protesters were arrested.
• Tuyserkan (Hamedan Province): Clashes between people and security forces in Bahonar Ave.
• Zarin Shahr (Isfahan Province): Despite very cold weather and heavy presence of security forces, an anti-regime gathering took place at Masjed Azam (main mosque) intersection. People chanted “Death to Khomeini, death to Khamenei”.
• Rasht (north Iran): Several hundred people gathered, the security forces fired tear gas. People chanted: “Down with dictator”, “Khamenei shame on you, let go of the power.”