Wednesday's Iran Mini Report - August 8, 2018
• Iranians blame Government for sanctions return
AFP- Tehran: Many Iranians blame their own government for the return of US sanctions. Much of the damage was already done in the weeks preceding the return of sanctions, as US President Donald Trump’s aggressive rhetoric spooked investors and triggered a run on the rial. That only added to deep-seated problems of corruption, a chaotic banking system and rampant unemployment after decades of mismanagement.
“Prices are rising again, but the reason is government corruption, not US sanctions,” said Ali, a 35-year-old decorator. Like many, he sees President Hassan Rouhani as powerless to improve things. “He can’t solve the problems. It’s been shown several times that he is not the decision-maker in this country. Our problem is our representatives and system,” he added.
• Iranian Revolutionary Guards: We asked Houthis to attack Saudi oil tankers
An Iranian Revolutionary Guards commander admitted that the Houthi attack that targeted the two Saudi oil tankers in Bab al-Mandeb Strait was carried out as per a request from the Revolutionary Guards.
According to the Iranian news agency Fars, the Revolutionary Guards Commander Nasser Shabani said: “We asked the Yemenis to attack the two Saudi oil tankers, so they did it.”
The Fars News Agency deleted the article, which is considered a blatant admission by Iran of supporting the Houthi militias, minutes after publishing it.
Shabani also said that the Houthi militias in Yemen and Lebanese Hezbollah militias “represented Iran’s depth in the region.”
• Germany blocks $400 million cash delivery to Iran amid heightened US sanctions
Germany’s central bank blocked a $400 million cash delivery to Iran, marking an added victory for the US in line with their heightened sanctions on the country, which were put into full force early Tuesday.
The $400 million is being held by Iranian-owned European-Iranian trade bank (EIH), which is allowed to operate in Hamburg.
The EIH was previously sanctioned by Europe and the US for helping push Iran’s nuclear program.
According to Fox News, the US ambassador to Berlin was the one who lead the campaign to persuade the German government to stop the money transfer.
“We are grateful to our German partners for recognizing the need to act,” he told the news channel.
• German Auto Giant Daimler Quits Iran, Citing U.S. Sanctions Threat
German auto giant Daimler halted its business activities in Iran hours after U.S. President Donald Trump vowed to block any company operating in Iran from selling in the vast U.S. marketplace.
"We have suspended our already limited activities in Iran in accordance with the applicable sanctions," a Daimler spokeswoman said on August 7.
The move brings a sudden end to Daimler's expansion plans in Iran, where it was teaming up with two local firms to assemble Mercedes-Benz trucks.
• Iran: Protester murdered by IRGC laid to rest in Tehran
The body of Reza Otadi, the 23-year old protester murdered by Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) units in Karaj during major anti-regime protests, was laid to rest on Monday in Tehran’s famous Beheshte Zahra Cemetery.
IRGC members were on a roof-top when they opened fire and gunned down Otadi on Friday night.
A number of family members, friends and bazaar merchants from Karaj and Tehran took part in this ceremony.