Argentina’s special prosecutor Alberto Nisman, who was investigating the 1994 car-bomb attack on the AMIA Jewish community center that killed 85 people, has been found dead in his apartment in the Buenos Aires on Sunday.
According to several Argentine television stations citing judicial sources, Alberto Nisman was found dead overnight in his apartment in the trendy Puerto Madero neighborhood of the capital. The cause of death was not immediately known.
Nisman, was expected to take part in a closed-door hearing in Congress on Monday to reveal the details of explosive allegations that involved Argentina’s President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner and Foreign Minister Hector Timerman, the reports said.
Nisman had accused Fernandez de Kirchner of ordering impunity for the Iranian regime officials suspects in the 1994 AMIA attack in order to boost trade with Tehran.
Argentine courts have accused the Iranian regime of sponsoring the 1994 bombing. In 2013, Fernandez tried to form a “truth commission” with Iran to jointly investigate the bombing.
Nisman had said the truth commission was intended to help get Interpol arrest warrants dropped against five officials of the Iranian regime that are suspects in the bombing.
The Argentine prosecutor leading the probe into the 1994 terrorist bombing of the AMIA Jewish community centre in Buenos Aires had warned about the Iranian regime’s terrorism in the region. Nisman had said that he had ‘irrefutable proof’ that killers from Tehran carried out the 1994 attack.
Nisman had said he had documents signed by top officials in Tehran proving the regime planned the bombing on July 18, 1994.
He told a Buenos Aires radio station earlier in June 2013: “I am certain that I have irrefutable proof. Any prosecutor who sat in my office would reach to the same conclusions because that’s where the evidence leads.”
He also urged Interpol to ‘take further measures in order to ensure the arrest of all eight defendants in the bombing with an international arrest warrant’.
Argentine courts have charged eight current and former senior Iranian regime officials over the bombing, including former Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi, former president Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, former Intelligence Minister, Ali Fallahian, former commander of the Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), Mohsen Rezai, former cultural attaché in the regime’s embassy in Argentina Mohsen Rabbani, and Ahmad Reza Asghari, the former third secretary in the regime’s embassy in Argentina.