After weeks of cover-up, Omicron confirmed in Iran today
• In Tehran, the number of COVID-19 deaths has risen significantly in recent weeks. The death toll has exceeded the national average. (IRNA news agency, December 19, 2021)
• Secretary of the Scientific Committee of the National Coronavirus Combat Taskforce (NCCT): We will see the Omicron outbreak in the coming weeks. The COVID-19 restrictions need to be implemented for at least the next four weeks. (IRNA, December 19, 2021)
• Masoud Mardani, member of the NCCT’s Scientific Committee: We knew the emergence of Omicron was inevitable. In the next 2 to 3 weeks, most of the country’s provinces will contract Omicron. (ISNA news agency, December 19, 2021)
• Payam Tabarsi, member of the NCCT’s Scientific Committee: The danger of Omicron outbreak is serious. The COVID-19 status map in the country may rapidly turn red. (ISNA, December 19, 2021)
• In South Khorasan, COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths are higher than the national average.
The People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) announced on Sunday, December 19, 2021, that the Coronavirus death toll in 547 cities has surpassed 490,100. In Tehran, the death toll has reached 114,760, Isfahan 33,735, West Azerbaijan 18,458, Fars 18,435, Mazandaran 17,840, Lorestan 16,265 Hormozgan 8,120, Yazd 8,083, Kurdistan 8,067, North Khorasan 6,248, Ardabil 6,190, Qazvin 5,704, and Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad 3,689.
After several weeks of delay and concealment, today, the clerical regime officially acknowledged the emergence of the Omicron variant in Iran. The head of the Public Relations and Information Center of the regime’s Health Ministry told Tasnim news agency, today, “In the emergency meeting of the NCCT’s session, which was held in the presence of Bahram Eynollahi, the Health Minister, the Omicron Coronavirus emergence in Iran was confirmed.”
Secretariat of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI)
December 19, 2021