• Masoud Mardani, member of the National Coronavirus Combat Taskforce (NCCT): Hospital beds are occupied mainly by COVID-19 patients, and ICUs are full of critically ill patients. So far, maybe one percent of the country’s population has been vaccinated. (ISNA news agency, May 5, 2021)
• Nader Tavakoli, deputy head of NCCT in Tehran: There is still an emergency in Tehran. We have more than 18,000 COVID-19 outpatients and more than 1,500 daily hospitalizations. We should not be unaware of the mutation of the virus in Iran. Wherever the virus spreads significantly, it may cause it to mutate and generate a new outbreak. (State TV, May 5, 2021)
• Head of Shohada Tajrish Hospital: Oxygen supply is the main challenge of all hospitals. We are in dire need of oxygen and Coronavirus medicines. (State TV, May 5, 2021)
• Head of Fayyaz Bakhsh Hospital in Tehran: The more we equip ourselves, the more intense and unpredictable the next COVID-19 wave has become. (State TV, May 5, 2021)
• Dezful University of Medical Sciences: We are apprehensive about the coming weeks. 90% of ordinary beds and all ICU beds are occupied with COVID-19 patients. (ISNA, May 5, 2021)
The People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) announced on Wednesday, May 5, 2021, that the Coronavirus death toll in 541 cities had exceeded 278,300. The number of victims in Tehran has reached 64,171, Isfahan 18,270, Khorasan Razavi 17,260, Khuzestan 17,049, Lorestan 11,513, Mazandaran 11,510, East Azerbaijan 11,383, West Azerbaijan 10,363, Gilan 9,664, Fars 8,712, Alborz 7,373, Sistan and Baluchestan 6,396, Central Province 5,803, Kermanshah 5,564, Semnan 4,890, Yazd 4,812,Kurdistan 4,807, Ardabil 3,527, Hormozgan 3,235, Qazvin 3,234, Bushehr 2,894, Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari 2,280, and Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad 2,141.
Secretariat of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI)
May 5, 2021