• Nader Tavakoli, deputy head of the National Coronavirus Combat Taskforce (NCCT) in Tehran: The COVID-19 status in Tehran is still red. We still have 7,000 COVID-19 patients hospitalized, and given the mutated variants, a fifth outbreak of the disease is quite possible. (ISNA news agency, May 16, 2021)
• Alireza Reisi, the spokesperson for the NCCT: 60 cases of Indian and African COVID-19 viruses have been identified in the country. The provinces of Sistan and Baluchestan, Hormozgan, Kerman, Bushehr, Khuzestan, and South Khorasan should be more careful. (Hamshahri daily, May 16, 2021)
• Masoud Mardani, a member of the Scientific Committee of the NCCT: The COVID-19 outpatient visits to hospitals are still high. If the protocols are not observed, the fifth virus outbreak of will begin. (ISNA, May 16, 2021)
• Minoo Mohraz, a member of the Scientific Committee of the NCCT: Barakat Company and other companies working to produce domestic Coronavirus vaccine have not yet reached the production level and for now, we need to import vaccines. (Mizan news agency, May 16, 2021)
• Universities of Medical Sciences: In the past 24 hours, 25 COVID-19 patients have died in Isfahan 21 in Alborz, and 21 in Fars provinces, respectively. (Mehr news agency, May 16, 2021)
The People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) announced on Sunday, May 16, 2021, that the Coronavirus death toll in 541 cities had exceeded 290,100. The number of victims in Tehran has reached 67,471, Isfahan 19,200, Khuzestan 17,949, Khorasan Razavi 17,770, East Azerbaijan 11,858, Lorestan 11,785, West Azerbaijan 10,823, Gilan 9,881, Qom 9,485, Fars 9,422, Alborz 7,958, Kerman 6,508, Kermanshah 5,744, Semnan 5,045, Yazd 4,952, Hormozgan 3,400, and Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari 2,380.
In a brazen lie, Rouhani claimed yesterday, “We have definitely passed the peak everywhere in the country in the fourth wave of the COVID-19 outbreak and are now on the downslope.” This is while, according to the state-controlled figures published by the regime’s Health Ministry, the number of deaths put at 200 yesterday, has reached 303 today, and the number of new infections which was 7,723 yesterday, is 11,291 today.