- Massoud Younesian, the Secretary of the Scientific Committee of the National Coronavirus Combat Taskforce (NCCT): Currently, the Omicron variant constitutes about 40% of the circulating COVID-19 cases. (ISNA news agency, January 17, 2022)
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the NCCT: We have entered a new outbreak, and we will reach the peak in the next three to four weeks. (State-run daily, Hamshahri, January 17, 2022)
- Iran Medical University: According to the indicators, due to the Omicron variant, we have had a surge in COVID-19 infections since a month ago.
- Ahvaz Medical University: The Omicron infection is increasing in Khuzestan Province. (ISNA, January 17, 2022)
- Isfahan Medical University: 172 people were infected with Omicron. Omicron will be the dominant variant in Isfahan in late January and early February. (Mehr news agency, January 17, 2022)
The People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) announced on Monday, January 17, 2022, that the COVID-19 fatalities in 547 cities have surpassed 498,300. The number of victims in Tehran has reached 116,385, Isfahan 34,535, West Azerbaijan 18,793, Gilan 17,275, Lorestan 16,470, Alborz 14,523, Kerman 13,452, North Khorasan 6,393, Ardabil 6,350, and Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari 3,870.
Secretariat of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI)
January 17, 2022